Compulsory modules, including theoretical and practical subjects related to:
- Farm management economics and marketing as pects.
- Genetics and breeding.
- Health, hygiene and pathology.
- Housing and equipment.
- Management topics.
- Record keeping.
- Animal feed
- Applied management in the farm facilities and feed mill.
- Compilation of several reports and a back home im provement plan.
- Linked to these topics participants develop required competences to return as a confident professional, implementing the PTC+ experience.
Optional modules (in order to qualify for the diploma the optional modules should add up to 480 study-load hours):
As a result of the training the participant is able to:
- Manage or supervise or guide pig production from back-yard systems to intensive, inter mediate scale pig farming methods.
- Appreciate the relevance of local poultry farmers’ knowledge, experience and practices and create awareness of sustainable production concepts and methods.
- Identify, recognise and analyse opportunities and problems, taking into account constraints and utilise possibilities concerning pig husbandry and the use of local feed-stuffs.
- Co-operate with others of various disciplines in planning, designing and implementing projects in the field of pig husbandry and animal feed produc tion.
- Transfer relevant knowledge, skills and technology concepts to small and intermediate scale pig far mers and for animal feed producing units.
- Tackle more efficiently the problems with regard to optimum utilisation of locally available feed-stuffs, which are unsuitable for human consumption.